Sign in to follow this  
S14 Kouki

Stock S14 airbox to fit Pod filter

Hey everyone

Does anyone know if a 3" K&N filter will be able to fit inside the stock S14 S2 airbox I dont want the Pod just sitting without a cover and im not willing to spend 150-250 for a pod filter cover or heat shield. I might be getting the why do you want to questions which ill expect but I just want to know if anyone else has done it or if it can be done without modifying the box for it to fit the length inlet to end is 20cm.

Thanks for any help

just leave the stock box... what advantage would a pod be inside

I guess I want a throaty sound from the induction but not having it in a box means if im pulled over ill get a defect cops here will defect for having a pod just in the open so its more to get the throaty sound im after and keeping the stock set up. Mates who are mechanics have said as dumb as it is youll get a defect for a pod anytime they check under the hood.

f the pod is in a the sealed factory box will make no difference compared to a pannel filter inside that sealed airbox

He wants the throaty sound, but doesn't think it's worth being defected for.

Threads like this make me laugh. Of course it's worth being defected for.

Hahah Ive had problems with my last car and cops with exposed pod and thats why Ive asked I couldnt find a separate thread otherwise I wouldve looked there. I want a stealth look im not looking for being loud about a few things.

I see you are in Vic. Do you have a front mount?

If you do def keep the std airbox. The cops in vic will not only give you a sticker but they will also give you a date with the EPA for a full emissions test.

Two induction mods = massive rapage with no lube!

Ive been through it and it aint fun. Everything has to be stock. Zorst, turbo, ecu, injectors, bov, std cooler everything.

Plus a pod brings no benefits for a street car apart from the noise.....not worth it.

or buy a pod cover from gktech or something and what's up with this exposed pod filter rule in sa they just have to be secured

My opinion is that driving these cars with some mods is defectable at the best of times.

I would do anything to avoid the EPA emssions scenario so i keep that side of things above board.

The first thing cops look for is a pod filter.

My opinion is that driving these cars with some mods is defectable at the best of times.

I would do anything to avoid the EPA emssions scenario so i keep that side of things above board.

do you have a fmic?

I still have the stock cooler no engine mods at all Ive got friends that have front mounts and aftermarket exhausts but arent above EPA noise regulations and never get pulled over. When i buy a cooler it will be black not polished or raw i want to keep things standard looking keep it clean so thats why I asked if the pod could fit in the original box which is all I want to know. I havent been pulled over since I had my first car and yes it was a VL that was 8 years ago since then Ive never had pull over issues just EPA from a noisy exhaust i had on my NX coupe but that was understandable. SO if I can retain the factory box fit a pod in there because thats what i want to do and maintain any further mods I do to as stock looking and keep the exhaust noise down I should be good to go.

I still have the stock cooler no engine mods at all Ive got friends that have front mounts and aftermarket exhausts but arent above EPA noise regulations and never get pulled over. When i buy a cooler it will be black not polished or raw i want to keep things standard looking keep it clean so thats why I asked if the pod could fit in the original box which is all I want to know. I havent been pulled over since I had my first car and yes it was a VL that was 8 years ago since then Ive never had pull over issues just EPA from a noisy exhaust i had on my NX coupe but that was understandable. SO if I can retain the factory box fit a pod in there because thats what i want to do and maintain any further mods I do to as stock looking and keep the exhaust noise down I should be good to go.

if you wanna keep stock box but want a better air filter why dont you just put a k&n panel filter in

I thought of that actually ive heard the panel filters are as throaty sounding as a pod but from having a pod on my NX i know what the pod will sound like dunno what the panel filter will sound like by comparison to the panel filter because Ive never heard if they sound differently. Im obviously not aiming here for power because if i did id look at other mods haha

yeah id just go with that dude better then messing around cutting your stock box the laws in vic sound even worse then adel

Yeah sounds more reasonable to go for a better panel filter at the moment. Thanks for the heads up Aym

thats what id be running in victoria here in adelaide we dont seem to get in shit for having an exposed pod just if its not secured

I thought of that actually ive heard the panel filters are as throaty sounding as a pod but from having a pod on my NX i know what the pod will sound like dunno what the panel filter will sound like by comparison to the panel filter because Ive never heard if they sound differently. Im obviously not aiming here for power because if i did id look at other mods haha

Bling's response is the ideal scenario, and is what I've done. The filter itself makes little or no difference to sound or flow; it's all about the exposure to atmosphere. An opened-up airbox will flow like a pod, and sound essentially the same. I run a K&N panel filter because my S15 airbox came with one (scored a mint airbox + mint panel filter for 50 bucks a while ago on eBay when people were hot for pod shields), and opened up it sounds effectively the same as a pod, especially if you go the extra mile to smooth off the noise ribbing inside the box. Also, I opened-up the entire front of a Cressia airbox on my Supra and with a paper filter sounded the same as a pod.

Just changing the filter is kinda dumb if you're aiming for induction sound, as the flow of a disposable paper filter is decent to say the least, and the box will still dampen the induction note in the same way.

Edited by pmod

do you have a fmic?

Yea mate i have a front mount with the std airbox.

Even if you could fit a POD in the std airbox it is a waste of time, as it will sound exactly the same as a panel filter in an airbox.

Even making a small hole in the airbox will increase the induction sound significantly.

I noticed the other day one of my clips that secures the top part of the airbox came off and there was a small gap between the top and botrtom half and it was heaps louder.

Plus running a metal intake pipe instead of the crappy rubber one makes a difference in noise created. The rubber does have an effect on noise supression.

i cut the front of the air box hole bigger, added a drift panel filter, prefer it over the pod, cant get much more stealthy then factory look

Consider yourself lucky to have a stock air box:) run that with a K&N filter for happy days. iv got a s13 with a red top and i am chasing a stock air box if anyone can help me there:). PS: is a sr20det airbox the same as sr20de?

No. The afm holes on DE and DET airboxes are different; one faces backwards, one faces sideways.

Edited by pmod

Hey everyone

Does anyone know if a 3" K&N filter will be able to fit inside the stock S14 S2 airbox I dont want the Pod just sitting without a cover and im not willing to spend 150-250 for a pod filter cover or heat shield. I might be getting the why do you want to questions which ill expect but I just want to know if anyone else has done it or if it can be done without modifying the box for it to fit the length inlet to end is 20cm.

Thanks for any help

Waste of time & money, just install a good panel filter and be done with it and don't remove the stock air scoop.