Sign in to follow this  
Hardtuned7

Boost creep Issues

I'm currently having boost creep issues..

I run a gtx3071r external waste gate 38mm on powertune manifold and screamer pipe

My tuner reckons it's the size of the wastegate that is causing the issue....

Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem could be?

I really don't want to chop manifold to fit a 44mm wastegate - couple of guys I know run a similar setup to me and don't get any boost creep...

Any help or advice would be great

What brand External Gate?

Purchased new or used?

Have you tested it for leaking?

What psi spring is in the gate currently?

How much boost are you running?

Edited by antonio

Tial wastegate brand new, 16 psi springs - checked for leaks and it's all good, currently wound it down to 15psi boost but wanting to run 20psi, it's creeping up to 23psi

Sounds like a very well done setup to be honest, do you have another Tial Gate available to try with and see if it has the same issues?

How were you testing the actual tial gate itself?

Nah I haven't tried another wastegate yet but I think if I did I'd just change to 44mm- there's definitely nothing faulty with my current gate.

From the research I did all signs are pointing to a bigger sized gate... I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that though

Plenty of people run that size gate on turbos of that size or larger and dont have a problem, i would be looking for vaccume leaks going to the wastegate.

Do u have a boost controller?

You said that u have a 17.5 psi spring in your wastegate but you have wound it down to 15 psi. Do u mean that u have changed the spring or what?

Bigger gate, 38mm I would say is too small. Also depends on the flow angle. At a minimal it needs to be perpendicular to the exhaust flow direction of the manifold. It is is poorly mounted boost will creep, but there's a way to fix that, bigger gate. For the power levels you'be got in mind and with that turbo I would suggest a 44mm gate, at the end of the day you're flowing a decent amount of exhaust gasses

Great, this means I have to chop manifold to fit 44mm........

This is exactly what i wanted to avoid

General rule of thumb for you. Want to run big boost a small gate will be fine. Want to run small boost, you'll need a big gate to be able to control it.

Chris, that's the problem... I do wanna run more but I had creep...

Well I blew my engine now anyway lol...

I just got another engine which is built... If it still creeps how will it effect new engine...?

What he's trying to say is if ur car is creeping up to 23psi then just tune it to run on 23psi. It shouldn't creep further. 23psi is the minimum the system wants to run. So run the minimum

^^^ exactly.. you are getting back pressure from the wastegate and that is being forced through the turbine.. generating excess boost.. but normally if it creeps to a certain value in most cases it wont creep past that value as you are seeing the flow limit of the wastegate.. the other thing you can do is pull the tune back a little.. that can help but you pay in power..