Sign in to follow this  
Bradshaw

helical LSD-best oil

Im eventually removing my 2 way and putting the stock helical lsd back in.

for arguments sake.

I am getting a greddy lsd diff cover for the hell of it, but....

Before I put the assembly back together, what is the best oil to use for good reliable LSD action??

The oil won't affect the way tge helical works I don't think. Doesn't have to be LSD oil

Same oil as what u put in your gearbox from what iv been told. Maybe bit thicker. Redline heavyweight?

LSD oils have special additives for friction components, A Helical diff has only gears so you really shouldn't need any special LSD oil. Just a good heavyweight gear oil (not manual gearbox oil, many of them are too thin for differentials)

Your owners manual should specify a particular grade.

Wouldn't bother with the GReddy LSD cover for the Helical. They are made for clutch-type diffs which get very hot. The Helical runs no where near as hot.

I want one for the hell of it, tax return gif to myself!!!

In summer time I do remember some serious heat coming from my old helical fyi, very hot...

I want one for the hell of it, tax return gif to myself!!!

In summer time I do remember some serious heat coming from my old helical fyi, very hot...

+1 for the Motul gear oil,more then enough for the stock diff

Actually Greddy LSD cover cannot harm it can only do good for any diff. Cooler oil, more capacity. Just like a gearbox can get too hot so can a diff

Running motul gear 300 in my S15 helical diff for a while no problems. As the workshop manual states "do not use lsd exclusive oil use standard diff oil".

motul eh??!!

What about redline??is that up there with motul??

Actually Greddy LSD cover cannot harm it can only do good for any diff. Cooler oil, more capacity. Just like a gearbox can get too hot so can a diff

Have you seen the price of those covers though? If you really want a better rear diff cover, track down a NA Z32 or GTR rear cover and spend the ~$500 you save on something else.

Just be done with it and get Redline 75W-90NS (NS is for Non Slippery) and it lasts a long time too. I'm using it and it's responsive and doesn't make any strange creaks or knocks at all, it purrs.

Order it from http://www.performancelub.com, cheapest place you'll find it and they deliver to your door.

Sorry to bump this thread up...

But is anyone using Redline Lightweight in the Helical Diff (S15)?

I've got someone lying around and just wanted to change the diff oil.....

The part where they say the oil doesn't matter? Yes I did.. just wanted to confirm that

Yes. I read about the Heavyweight.. just wanted to know if I would run into any problems with Lightweight as I have it lying around :)