Sign in to follow this  
japcarcrazy

sell s13?

I was hoping for some advice on selling my s13 Silvia k's1991.

I have owned the car for 14 years now, it is straight has no rust and no signs of major repairs. It is time for me to start thinking about something a little more comfortable for all the highway driving I am now doing so I am looking at a v35 coupe. I don't really need the money from sale of my s13, I love it and think I will enjoy it in the future so here are the questions bothering me.

-Should I just sell the s13 and hope to pick up a decent one in the future if I choose?

- Keep the S13 knowing I have a decent example If I choose to make a fun weekend car.

I am worried about the car being neglected and just selling it for less in 5 years time or If I sell the car will the supply of decent examples dry up If I want to come back to it in 5 years? Storage of the car will be difficult but not impossible. I also have a list a mile long of Japanese sports cars I would love to own so maybe I should think about that also.

Thanks in advance for help with my hard decision!

If you're even thinking about keeping it and it doesn't owe you any money then keep it.

Anything I've sold before that I thought "I wouldn't mind holding onto this instead of selling" always felt regrettable.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Keep it imo its not worth selling with how much people are willing to pay these days and clean examples are becoming harder to find I believe one day we'll see them become valuable due to them all being thrashed

Thanks. I moved to a remote area to run my own business 3 years ago and as a result i am a bit out of touch with what's going on with imports these days. You have both mentioned things I was a bit concerned about but I wasn't really confident on the accuracy of my ideas.

I know so many old blokes with the storys of there old falcons or monaros that they sold for f all and are worth a mint now

Older guys always tell me to hang on to my car. even they see it as one of the nicer ones kicking around.

14 years? shit i thought i was pushing the limit of ownership with 6 years haha.

Dont do it!

Honestly I plan on keeping my S13 for life and Ive only owned it for over a year... you've owned yours for 14!

Not to mention yours is a K's model with the factory turbo engine which is pretty uncommon these days.

The way I look at it is that its purely not worth selling an S13 if its clean and especially a 91 K's model!

To be honest, Id rather keep my S13 and let it collect dust than knowing some punk kid is driving it around who will probably wrap it around a pole sooner or later.

You have an S13 already, dont plan to sell and re buy because youll never get the same car you had. Im guessing youre the first owner in Aus aswell which is pretty cool.

I reckon keep the Silvia, put it away and throw a cover over it because just knowing you have it is a great feeling even if you cant drive it as much. Depending on the condition and mods I really think you wouldnt get more than 4-5k (stock) so in my eyes its not worth selling up.

Post some photos up of your car Im really keen to see it! :)

Too hard to find another clean example that isn't overpriced. V35's are a sweet cruiser definitely get one too!

Cool, It really seems as if they are getting a little hard to get these days. Also the price they are getting hardly seems worth it. I agree I will probably regret it. I regret selling my 1984 bluebird TRX white with blue interior I got on my P's.I used to love that car and wish I had a mint one now. It would be a hard choice of what engine to run though!

Yes I was the fist Australian owner. I loved the smell it came out of japan with!! Cant put my finger on it. I actually got it a bit over 15 years ago, back then in country towns people had no idea what they were. I would get tailgated along highways by people trying to work out what the car was. Racing with mates was a lot more fun as back then few people knew the potential these cars had and what people considered to be a fast car was much different to now. After changing injectors to get the most out of the t28 bb ($900-$1000 turbo back then) not much would keep with it.

Never had any major problems running a low 194rwkw all this time (except blowing 3rd recently) so they can be reliable cars, but I change oil and plugs every 5000km.

Edited by japcarcrazy

1984 Bluebird TRX would have to receive a FJ20 for sure.

i totally agree with if the car does not owe you money, keep it.

Yep I tried to sell my Silvia numerous times about two years ago and so glad now that it never sold. I love that I've got a tough as f**k rig sitting in my carport to use or work on whenever I like and it owes me nothing. Actually it owes me about $35k haha. But the older I get, I'm not so obsessed with it anymore which is a good thing, but the fact I've still got it is a good feeling because I'll never spend that much money or blood sweat and tears on another car again

Edited by essonefive

how does a car 'not owe you money'??

I hear this a lot but dont understand it.

you've bought the car, bought the mods, you arent gonna get back as much for the car as what you've put in, so they all owe you money.

Because you need a car, it's unavoidable. You have to pay for something at some stage. It's not a free car but it's done it's time and it keeps on giving beyond it's expected service life.

Always seen that as you have no loans or debt on the car

If it's clean, and you have the means to keep it then why not. Price wise it has probably hit rock bottom, so you won't loose by letting it sit.

Although if you have a bucket list of cars to own (and don't have Jay Leno's pay check), then you may have to be brutal in your decisions as you can't keep them all.

If anything with new turbo laws in NSW startign next month the prices will be going up as A) P platers buy turbo SRs again and pay stupid money for them and B) they are then written off by P platers.

its probably not a bad idea to consider getting out of the game at this point since insurance is going to skyrocket.

I know so many old blokes with the storys of there old falcons or monaros that they sold for f all and are worth a mint now

My old man virtually gave away a HK Monaro before they were worth anything. Now look at what they are worth.

You would hate to make the same mistake with your Silvia, don't risk the regret if you don't need to.

If anything with new turbo laws in NSW startign next month the prices will be going up as A) P platers buy turbo SRs again and pay stupid money for them and B) they are then written off by P platers.

its probably not a bad idea to consider getting out of the game at this point since insurance is going to skyrocket.

I'm too old for insurance to really care about my premium, not to mention it's already on the higher end of the scale anyway.

just two more years til I am the magical 30.

I expect nothing will change.

If you can justify the cost of keeping it then you're in a pretty good position. Only you know what sentimental value you place in your sil but the costs of storing, maintaining, registering/re-registering are pretty big. They might skyrocket in price but will that happen in 5 years or 20 years?

I have a mind to sell my s15 and get a 370z when my $$ situation improves.

ive had mine for 12 years, every now and then think of selling it, but cant do it... just thinking of some p-plater tool trashing the crap out of it makes me shudder.

the whole 30 yo, cheaper insurance thing is a load of crap, with most places there is little to no difference and some others now want 35 before they will even insure you. my old shannons policy just kept going up as i got older and value of the car kept coming down.

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I've got my heart set on keeping it. Prices are not worth what the car is atm. I agree it value will prob. not go up to much until another 10 years but that's when I will want it the most! I have a feeling new cars are going to be pretty gay by then. Heavy, hybrid and a million features to stop you having any fun in a car. I may take it off the road for a few years to save registration as I know a few people who will pass it's road worthy. Only real issue is exhaust is too low. As for Insurance, Maybe one day. I know its stupid but never had any. It has saved me around $20 - 30,000 over my ownership of the car but it's a gamble, it could cost me more.

My grandparents came to visit yesterday, we got to talking about my car.. my granddad said "no matter what you do, never sell this thing". It's not about the money since he knows it was inexpensive, 20 years old etc. With the way cars are going these days, everything looks so generic and horrible and devoid of emotion in their design. They're designed by committees who do demographic analysis to figure out what shapes look reliable, non-threatening, or appliancey. My grandparents have been driving this rental corolla around while their car is in for repairs and the thing is terrible in a nearly Orwellian way. Whether a car is beautiful these days is not even a matter of good or bad taste like it used to be, because no taste or aesthetic is even involved in the creation of the design and when something like a 180sx is appraised it's clear that it's a very different and more personal creation designed by actual humans.

Edited by Skepticism

I agree with your feelings on modern car styling. Unfortunately I feel performance cars are going to get further out of reach for everyday people in the future also. I hate the direction the GTR has gone. Don't get me wrong I would love one but I wish it was a more simple, cheaper base with potential to build up. I wish the new GTR was around $80,000, 1550kg, 300kw and kept simple enough to modify easily and keep the price of maintenance and repairs down. It's not just the price but the complexity. It's going to be like buying a cheap supercar today, you need to spend three times the purchase price to keep it running each year!

I think cars are getting too heavy, expensive, unserviceable and have too much unnecessary crap on them. Although they probably thought that back in the 70's about the cars we love today!

Edited by japcarcrazy

I agree but it's getting too hard to modify newer cars legally. :(

ive had mine for 12 years, every now and then think of selling it, but cant do it... just thinking of some p-plater tool trashing the crap out of it makes me shudder.

the whole 30 yo, cheaper insurance thing is a load of crap, with most places there is little to no difference and some others now want 35 before they will even insure you. my old shannons policy just kept going up as i got older and value of the car kept coming down.

Shannons always gave me the cold shoulder. Given the non-existant options, I just went with JustCar TPP +F&T, and the price has come down over time, possibly due to age, but I think mainly due to the car being reclassified into a lower bracket by JC.

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I've got my heart set on keeping it. Prices are not worth what the car is atm. I agree it value will prob. not go up to much until another 10 years but that's when I will want it the most! I have a feeling new cars are going to be pretty gay by then. Heavy, hybrid and a million features to stop you having any fun in a car. I may take it off the road for a few years to save registration as I know a few people who will pass it's road worthy. Only real issue is exhaust is too low. As for Insurance, Maybe one day. I know its stupid but never had any. It has saved me around $20 - 30,000 over my ownership of the car but it's a gamble, it could cost me more.

At least get Third Party. One mistake can easily burn that 20-30k you've saved.

At least get Third Party. One mistake can easily burn that 20-30k you've saved.

My mate actually wrote off another car and he had no insurance...

Luckily it was a Mazda 121 or whatever so it wasnt worth much but he is still paying it off (student), lucky it wasnt a MY14 Benz or something...

Edited by s13k's