Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Oil dipstick - Hardtuned.net

Oil dipstick 

oil dipstick
3 replies to this topic

#1 geets

• Car:180sx 1995

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Have an evo x with 25000km on the clock. No mods.

Was checking the dipstick today (about 20km after a service ) and noted some black shaving like things on the bottom of the dipstick. When i rub them between my fingers they just disappear and doesn't feel gritty. Im not sure whether they are carbon deposits or whatever. The rest of the oil looks cleanPosted Image and golden (like new oil). This seems to be only there when thr engine is cold.

Is this a normal thing? Does the oilPosted Image need to be flushed? The oil was serviced 5000km before this service and the oil was pretty dark when changed.

Any help would be awesome!

#2 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Difficult to say without pictures, however it could be:

- Assembly lube, given the low odometer reading (wouldn't have expected this, but you never know)
- Decomposed rubber that has turned into a paste from some random seal
- Very fine metal dust from the break-in period, as I've seen that type of 'non-gritty black paste' on magnetic drain plugs from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and you can always install a magnetic drain plug should you be concerned about the state of your engine [assuming it didn't come with one from the factory]. You can also cut open your old oil filter and inspect the contents. Do not waste your time or money on an engine flush, as it is absolutely not needed. Oil is supposed to turn black, otherwise it means that the carbon isn't being pulled from the engine parts.

#3 geets

• Car:180sx 1995

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply mate! I gave Mitsi a buzz they said it was just small amounts of the old oil and should disappear when it mixes with the new oil over a couple 100km. Figure I just enjoy it for now and see what happens.

This is all I could find left today, they seem to be slowly disappearing.

View Postpmod, on 11 January 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

Difficult to say without pictures, however it could be:

- Assembly lube, given the low odometer reading (wouldn't have expected this, but you never know)
- Decomposed rubber that has turned into a paste from some random seal
- Very fine metal dust from the break-in period, as I've seen that type of 'non-gritty black paste' on magnetic drain plugs from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and you can always install a magnetic drain plug should you be concerned about the state of your engine [assuming it didn't come with one from the factory]. You can also cut open your old oil filter and inspect the contents. Do not waste your time or money on an engine flush, as it is absolutely not needed. Oil is supposed to turn black, otherwise it means that the carbon isn't being pulled from the engine parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Untitled.jpg

Edited by geets, 11 January 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#4 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

If that's all it is, Mitsubishi are quite right in telling you not to worry about it. Drive on!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!